Science at All Saints Multi Academy Trust is taught in year groups which is aligned to the National Curriculum. Our Science lead has developed a scheme which offers teachers a variety of lesson ideas, resources and key information for each unit.
At All Saints Multi Academy Trust, it is our intention to provide children with a high quality education and a passion for Science. Our curriculum will enable children to become enquiry based learners, collaborating through researching, investigating and evaluating experiences. It will encourage respect for living organisms and the physical environment.
All children will be exposed to high quality teaching and learning experiences which will in turn hook the children’s interest. Moving forward, children will be given the resources to develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about the world they live in.
In ensuring high standards of teaching and learning in Science, we implement a curriculum that is progressive throughout the academy.
- Children have access to key vocabulary and definitions in order to understand and readily apply to Science and other subjects through cross curricular links. This then builds on the child’s schema.
- Science is taught once a week for one hour.
- Each unit builds upon prior knowledge which develops depth and understanding and shows progressions of skills
- Children develop their scientific enquiry skills through exploring, questioning, predicting planning and carrying out investigations and observations to conclude their findings.
- Children are given knowledge organisers at the beginning of each unit which details key information, dates and vocabulary. This is not used as part of an assessment but to support children in their development skills within Science.
- Through using a range of assessments, differentiation is facilitated by teachers, to ensure that each pupil can access the Science curriculum.
The impact of this curriculum, leads to good progress over time, across key stages and in relation to a child’s individual starting point. This allows children to have the foundations for understanding the wider world when completing their primary education. Our aim for Science is to equip children with the skills needed to navigate an ever-changing world of Science by immersing our students with scientific enquiry skills.
Assessment is an important tool when tracking children’s progress. At All Saints Multi Academy Trust we use a bespoke tailor-made assessment tracker which follows children’s progress from Year 1 up to Year 6. We also rely on formative assessment as this allows for misconceptions and gaps within their knowledge to be addressed quickly and efficiently.